I was instilled in the Protestant Work Ethic and began working in the Sterling China Pottery the day I graduated from high school, doing typing + filing work, saving for college.
College was after WWII after working three years + attending business college.
I was always on the h. s. honor roll + I knew that teaching or business education would be my final call.
Scholarships were offered to graduating seniors who qualified academically, and I was encouraged to apply for one, but that was not of any interest to me at the time, even though I did graduate tying with another student for first place. Valedictorians didn’t have to give speeches, but if I’d had to give one, it would have emphasized "Use your God given talents + have a purpose for life."
After spending several years in a no win situation with office jobs + no chance of advancement in Wellsville, it was time to move on to greener pastures!
 |
| Kent State University |
It was Sept. ‘46, the war was over, time to get on with my studies, so I enrolled as a freshman at Kent State Univ. About that time many veterans had enrolled and it was time to get acquainted.
In Oct. we welcomed everyone at a Freshman Hop + I was a Welcoming Hostess from my dorm. A line of eight men with arms crossed in front of them looking over the girls, I encouraged them to get a gal + get on the dance floor. The eigth man in line stepped forward + asked me if I cared to dance. He was such a tall, dark, handsome, more mature man. Could he possibly be a veteran, wanting to meet people? His name? Bert S from Cincinnati, returning from active duty in the Army Air Force. Could this be the man I would some day marry?
It’s now 56 [65] years later, and "He’s da man!" Now let me begin to tell you some of the events that have occurred between then and now.
 |
| Hammy at Kent State (circa 1946) |
 |
| Hammy, Bert, and Ginny B (circa 1946) |
As a more mature freshman at the age of 21, I was housed in the dorm with five roommates in a 3 room suite. My roommate, Lee, and I had both worked before attending college and felt as though we could advise our younger friends on studying, dating, etc. She and I had similar backgrounds, were self-disciplined, and although we had fun dating, we were not as worldly as a few of our new found friends. Our motherly advice was unheeded, and before the freshman year was completed, two of "our gang" left college for greener pastures.
 |
| 10th Street house in Wellsville, OH |
 |
| Uncle Wayne H at the 10th Street house in Wellsville |
 |
Father Ray (circa 1946 at the back
of the 10th Street house in Wellsville) |
 |
| Unknown, Ada, unknown, Bert (circa 1947) |
 |
| Bert S (circa 1947) |
 |
| Hammy at Kent State Homecoming (1947) |
 |
| Hammy at the passenger door (circa 1947) |
During my sophomore year, Bert, whom I was dating, accepted a regular commission in the U.S. Air Force and left for an assignment at March Air Force Base, Calif. It was a sad departure, but a wise decision on his part because he felt there were more opportunities in service than remaining as a junior in college, majoring in accounting along with hundreds of other returning veterans.
I continued studying business with a few education courses with the idea of teaching Bus. Ed. [Business Education].
After finishing my sophomore year, my brother, Bob, and sister-in-law Gen, asked me to spend a semester or two with them in San Antonio, where Bob was stationed at Ft. Sam Houston.
I was off again to explore the great beyond - taking the train from Wellsville to the great State of Texas. How thrilling!
 |
| Hammy, sister-in-law Gen, mother Ruth (circa 1948) |
I was able to get a civil service job for the Post Engineer at Ft. Sam and just when I was ready to take the exam for a permanent job with the government, Bert called me and proposed over the phone. Since he was calling from the Officers' Club with a lot of music + noise in the background, I wasn’t sure I was hearing him correctly, so I told him to put his request to have me as his bride in writing. (I believe I have the letter somewhere but so far I haven't found it!)
No comments:
Post a Comment