It was a sad day when we had to say farewell to our friends + neighbors, but the next move was exciting to Montgomery, Ala. where Bert was going to attend the Command + Staff School for 9 months.
We arrived in time to find a 3 BR rental on Narrow Lane Rd., got the boys registered in second + fifth grade at Baer School, and the school was a disappointment, especially for Kent who had been in an accelerated program in N.Y.
 |
| 1959 Christmas card photo |
 |
Kim Michael, Hammy, and Kent (circa 1960)
at Bellingrath Gardens, Theodore, AL |
 |
Kent (second from left) with others after Confirmation at
Memorial Presbyterian Church in Montgomery, AL |
 |
| Kim Michael (in striped shirt) in Montgomery, AL |
 |
Two counselors,
Davis K's brother, Kent, Davis K, Curt W,
Kim Michael (circa 1960 in Montgomery, AL) |
|
|
The A Family (circa 1960)
|
 |
| circa 1960 Christmas card photo |
This assignment was at the time of the Civil Rights bus boycott, so we were happy when Bert's school at Maxwell AFB was over, + we were ready to plant our shoes on Ohio soil. Bert's assignment was Officer in Charge of Defense Contracts at Cincy Contract Office in Cincinnati. "Whom did we know to get a 4 year assignment in your home town?"
It was good to put down roots in Terrace Park, an upscale suburb of Cincinnati, where the boys adapted quickly to their new neighborhood - joining Cub Scouts + Boy Scouts, and Bert + I found congenial neighbors with similar interests.
 |
Back row: Abner D, Bill D, Bert, and Bert's father Al S,
Middle row: Muriel D, Frieda SD, Charles S, Anna R, and Hammy,
Front row: Lynne D, Kim D, Kent, and Kim Michael
(circa 1961) Terrace Park, OH
(Frieda and Charles are siblings of Bert's father Al,
Anna R is Bert's maternal grandmother, Bill is
Bert's cousin, making all the kids second cousins) |
It was the first time we had tried camping.
While Bert was on temporary duty in Calif., I purchased a used Nimrod [camping trailer], and when he returned + saw this strange vehicle parked in the driveway, he wanted to know where we planned to go in it. He vetoed our plan to drive it out West to see what Disneyland was all about. However we took off after a few dry runs with our neighbors to local parks + were prepared for the long drive. What a beautiful trip it was in our ’60 ['61 Chevrolet Impala] convertible pulling our tent behind us. The cost for food, gas, + lodging for 26 days was $435.00. Can you believe it? About every 3 or 4 days we stopped to visit friends + "rent" space in their driveways.
[
See 1962 Camping Notebook.]
 |
| 1962 Christmas card photo |
 |
| 1963 Christmas card photo |
 |
| Kim Michael (circa 1964), Terrace Park, OH |
 |
| Hammy, Kim Michael, Kent, Bert (1964) |
 |
| 1964 Christmas card photo |
After four years in Cincinnati, Bert accepted a position at W/P as Deputy Commander of Contract Management. It was a one year assignment. We all benefited from this move.
We found a lovely four bedroom rental in a newer development in Fairborn, with a short distance drive to the boys' schools and to the base for Bert.
 |
| Our Coronado Drive house in Fairborn, OH |
As soon as we were all settled in nicely, I decided to check in at the U. of Dayton to see how many credits I needed to graduate. When I walked into Brother F's office, he looked up from his desk + exclaimed, "Ada, where have you been?" It was seven years since we were transferred, and I had to leave U.D., not knowing if I’d ever matriculate!
God was really with me that year as I was able to get the required courses necessary. With Bert's help, I went to my classes on Saturdays, as well as taking some required courses in the evenings. Since U.D. is a Catholic University, I was required to take Ethics + Logic. I purposely put those two classes last and "aced" both of them! I graduated with a B.S. degree in Education and a Minor in Business.
About that time Mike graduated from 6th grade + Kent graduated from 9th grade. Bert's next duty station was assigned to Tachikawa, Japan as Director of Procurement + Production. Everything seemed to fall into place!
We really accomplished alot with this move in Fairborn - all except Bert. Career wise it didn’t benefit him but Mike + Kent had a good school year, and I finally put "all my eggs in one basket," and could start putting my teaching to work. As Bert said it was a good insurance policy!
In addition to benefitting our immediate family, we were able to have Bert's dad + my parents visit us. Dad H + Dad S spent quality time together in the family room shooting pool!
No comments:
Post a Comment